Teeth and Gum Contouring in NYC
Someone is lucky with perfectly straight teeth, which look flawless without dentists’ intervention. And it is tough for someone to do without the help of medicine because of crooked, insufficiently white, and large teeth that protrude too much when smiling or vice versa, barely peeking out from under the gums. But the good news is that there is no dental problem in iSmile Dental that a professional dentist could not solve. Therefore, the contouring of the teeth, shown for the above issues, is not a problem for our doctors.
Contouring teeth and gums is a method of cosmetic dentistry or artistic restoration.
Artistic restoration means a wide range of actions, as a result of which the appearance of the smile and teeth improves. Correction can be resorted to by people not only with congenital disabilities in the formation of the teeth or their location but also with acquired defects (consequences of injuries, change in natural color, erasure).
For this procedure, special dental instruments and the technique of erasing enamel are used. Before starting treatment, X-rays are often done to ensure the teeth are healthy and do not require additional treatment. After that, the dentist marks those areas that need correction. With a grinding tool, the doctor eliminates or minimizes all defects on the surface of the teeth. At the end of the procedure, the teeth are polished.
Types of contouring
- Direct contouring. The doctor conducts it directly in the patient's oral cavity. It recreates defective or decayed parts of the teeth. The patient can restore from one to several teeth in one visit with this restoration method.
The latest materials, in combination with modern techniques, allow the restorer to imitate the natural nature of the teeth.
This type of restoration has gained immense popularity due to its favorable properties:
- Minimal intervention in the tooth tissue;
- Excellent adaptation of the gums to the restored fragment;
- Low cost;
- Quick execution.
- Indirect contouring. The doctor needs time to prepare the patient's teeth for restoration. He removes a cast according to which the restored part is made. Unlike direct repair, when the patient receives help in one visit to the doctor, indirect restoration is divided into two stages. As a rule, time passes between the removal of the cast and the fixation of the restored part.
The world has long promoted ceramics to a leading place among materials for teeth restoration. Restorative fragments in indirect restoration are made of ceramics. This material allows you to give them a shade that is visually very similar to the healthy part of the tooth.
- Contouring of the gums. Contouring of the gums is prescribed to patients with an uneven or unequal edge of the gums. A similar defect is called a "gingival smile". To change the shape of the gums, as a rule, it is enough to raise its edge or excise part of the gingival tissue. In some cases, a more complex operation is prescribed, reducing the bone tissue volume. This is also done quite quickly with the help of a diode laser and anesthesia.
Indications for contouring:
- excessively expanded or narrowed shape of the tooth;
- too short or too long teeth (in this case, either a single tooth or a whole dentition is corrected);
- teeth that are knocked out of the rest of the dentition (then the dentist adjusts the position of the individual tooth);
- dark or yellow plaque on the teeth; gaps between the teeth.
The method of artistic restoration of the smile is selected in each case individually. With minor defects, the procedure is performed quickly and painlessly. The use of anesthesia is justified only if it is necessary to contour the gums.
- some pathologies of the bite;
It is possible to proceed to the artistic restoration of teeth only after eliminating the listed problems. Among the absolute contraindications are oncological diseases at the stage of radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and mental disorders.
In other cases, each person has the opportunity to make his smile perfect without much money and time. Moreover, the results of teeth contouring persist for a long time.
Talk to a qualified iSmile Dental dentist to learn more about contouring teeth and gums, chewing smile treatment, crown lengthening, and more. They can fully assess your situation to determine the best course of action for your smile.
Contouring teeth is a procedure of aligning or changing the teeth’ shape. This is a quick and inexpensive method, usually not requiring anesthesia – indications: broken, long or abnormal teeth.
On average, a restored tooth can last from one month to one year, after which it must be modified again. But after a certain number of improvements, natural fabrics will decrease, and as a result, the indirect restoration will be required, that is, the installation of crowns or veneers.
The application of fluoro-lacquer is the coating of enamel with a solution of sodium fluoride or amine fluoride. As a result, the mineral composition of the enamel is restored, and it strengthens. The formed film prevents the reproduction of bacteria that cause carious cavities.
How is the crown cemented? First, it is installed on the lingual surface of the tooth and then pressed against the buccal side. A stream of air dries the inner surface of the crown and the supporting tooth. The crown is filled with a pre-kneaded cement layer 1 mm thick.
Veneers allow you to completely restore the aesthetics of the dentition to achieve an even snow-white smile. Restoration involves the point elimination of tooth defects, and it does not always make it possible to choose colors so that the restored enamel looks as natural as possible.
On the first day after the restoration of teeth, it is not recommended to use coloring foods (tea, coffee, beets), as well as to use lipstick. After taking acidic foods (oranges, apples, etc.), rinse the mouth with water.
Painful sensations will pass on their own in 1-3 days. There may be sensitivity to cold, hot, and soreness when biting on the tooth. Fasting filling sensitivity is extremely rare and passes within 1-2 weeks. Report this condition to your doctor.
Extension or artistic restoration is an economical option for restoring the aesthetics and shape of teeth with chips using composite materials. Restorations last, on average, up to 3-5 years, and with meticulous care and minimal load, restored teeth can last 2-3 times longer.