Tooth Decay Prevention in NYC
Most people experience tooth decay but ignore professional dental treatment. As a result, caries quickly spread deep into the tooth, becoming increasingly difficult to restore or save. Remember – problems with teeth can be avoided. To do this, you need a comprehensive prevention of caries in iSmile Dental, which will save you from a long and expensive treatment.
The rapid development of caries occurs from improper care of the oral cavity.
Both teeth and gums suffer from caries. Often the process begins imperceptibly - a small carious spot appears on the tooth's surface. The tooth starts to react to hot, cold, and sweet foods. Then caries affects the enamel and dentin - a cavity is formed, due to which painful sensations appear in the tooth. At the last stage, the cavity increases, and even accidental touches begin to cause severe pain.
To understand the prevention of caries, you should first determine the causes of the appearance of such a pathological process. They can be both congenital and the result of a frivolous attitude to one's health:
- weak enamel is genetically inherited from parents;
- mineral metabolism is disturbed as a result of various diets, lack of balanced nutrition, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- changes in the viscosity of saliva, which occur due to systemic diseases and infections;
- crowding of the teeth (their tight fit to each other), which makes it difficult for proper hygiene of the oral cavity;
- irregular or improper teeth brushing – for example, using a toothbrush with too soft stubble.
Caries can be noticed independently - visually or by painful sensations in the teeth. However, we recommend regular check-ups in dentistry. It will be possible to detect the pathological process in the early stages and get rid of it quickly, preventing complex and expensive treatment.
Basic rules for the prevention of caries
Removal of plaque is the first step in treating caries in iSmile Dental. To eliminate harmful bacteria, it is advisable to undergo professional teeth cleaning 2-3 times a year. However, to reduce the risk of pathological processes, it is necessary to follow the basic rules for the prevention of caries:
- Proper brushing of teeth. Hygienic procedures in the oral cavity should be carried out at least twice daily: in the morning and evening.
- Additional hygienic procedures. In addition to a toothbrush and toothpaste, use floss to remove plaque in the interdental spaces. After the hygienic procedure, use a rinse.
- Fluoride volume control. Insufficient fluoride intake in the body is fraught with a change in the structure of the enamel. Your doctor will tell you how to make up for the lack of this substance.
- Food temperature control. Eating too cold or hot food can cause microdamage to the enamel. Deep into the tooth can penetrate bacteria that will provoke the rapid development of caries.
Doctors of iSmile Dental recommend a severe approach to the choice of oral care products - an essential type of caries prevention. You can periodically use toothpaste with high fluoride content. If you have damaged enamel - in no case, do not use a paste with large abrasive particles in its composition.
Nutrition for the prevention of caries
The use of certain fruits and vegetables allows you to achieve a natural cleansing of the teeth. On the contrary, some products negatively affect the enamel, which is why pathological processes begin.
To prevent caries, you need to adjust your diet as follows:
- Reduce the consumption of sweets and flour products. You do not need to force yourself to abandon confectionery and chocolate completely. The usual sweets can be replaced with dried fruits. However, it is necessary to reduce their number as much as possible, and after each meal, rinse your mouth with special rinses or warm water.
- Balance the diet. Watch the balance of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates when making a menu. The mandatory components of the correct menu include dairy products, meat and fish, cheese, nuts, and fresh green staff.
- Eat solid foods. To maintain the oral cavity's health, you must regularly carry out natural teeth cleaning. In this regard, hard vegetables and fruits, including apples and carrots, help.
- Chew the food thoroughly. We are used to having a quick breakfast, lunch, and dinner. However, swallowing large pieces of food leads to an extended stay in the stomach, which can cause disturbances in digestion.
- Careful use of solid foods. Hard food should be in the diet but try to eat carefully so that the teeth are not injured and particles do not get stuck in the interdental spaces.
- Constantly monitor the reaction of the teeth to the food consumed. In some cases, it is necessary not only to limit the number of sweets and flour products but to exclude them from the diet completely. If the teeth begin to react to hot and cold food - we recommend that you immediately undergo an examination at the dentist; otherwise, there is a risk of starting and thereby aggravating the pathological process that has arisen.
iSmile Dental regularly receives patients with caries in the middle stage, when carious cavities are already formed, and painful sensations appear when eating hot and cold foods. Most people ignore preventive examinations, which is why they miss the opportunity to detect pathological processes on time and eliminate them.
Doctors recommend undergoing preventive examinations twice a year. Additionally, you can do professional teeth cleaning in dentistry 2-3 times a year. Given the current condition of the teeth, the doctor independently chooses the cleaning method. Due to the restoration of mineral balance and polishing of teeth at the end of the procedure, it is possible to significantly reduce the risk of caries.
Brush and floss your teeth regularly.
- Competently choose a brush and hygiene products.
- Use mouthwash.
- Clean the tongue and cheeks.
Fresh vegetables and fruits. Fresh vegetables and fruits should be eaten daily. Marine fish is one of the most affordable and universal suppliers of fluoride and phosphorus, without which calcium is not absorbed correctly. As well as greens, berries, chocolate, and milk powder.
Caries is most scared of doctors, toothpaste, and toothbrush. The best prevention of tooth decay is regular dental checks and hygiene.
You should choose the right toothbrush and toothpaste and brush your teeth for at least two minutes twice a day. To remove food residues from hard-to-reach places: use dental floss; after each meal, rinse your mouth with water. Prevent the appearance of plaque and tartar.
Especially the development of caries is affected by the use of sugar-containing foods and foods rich in carbohydrates. To a slightly lesser extent, but also contribute to the development of carious processes of lactose, fructose, and glucose.
The first stage is characterized by the appearance of chalk-like, white, or pigmented spots, mainly located in the neck of the tooth. The initial step of caries proceeds without pain, but oscoma may occur when sweet, salty, or acidic food gets on the affected area.
It is possible to stop the destructive effect of bacteria. For this, dentists conduct remineralizing therapy, enamel fluoridation, professional cleaning, and much more. At home, pathology can not be resisted.
Since caries occurs in the process of vital activity of bacteria, the question of whether it is possible to become infected with caries through a kiss, experts give a positive answer. Bacterial microflora in the oral cavity is present in every person; during a kiss, microorganisms are exchanged through saliva.
Usually, from the appearance of a carious spot on the enamel to the formation of deep caries, it takes 1 to 4 years, and the infection affects the root canals two times faster. But there are cases when the destruction of the tooth and the formation of complications occurs in just 3-4 months, and this is acute caries.
The most effective way to identify latent caries is interproximal radiography. In our clinic, we give patients special X-rays, which immediately show changes in the density of the tooth tissue, which indicates caries.